Friday, September 14, 2012

10 for 10 {10 steps to refinishing a cabinet}


I found this cabinet and I just had to fix it up.
I've been looking for a new side table for a while and I decided this would work perfectly.
It did need a lot of work though.
{1. find a cabinet}

This is it before. It had 50 year old tape plastered to the side,
one of the drawers had some sticky gunk in it, and the paint was all chipped.

{2. pick all of the 50 year old tape off}

{3. scrape the sticky gunk out of the drawer}

I had to sand it town twice to get the surface nice and smooth.

{4. sand}

I had to do a coat of metal primer. I used a primer called "Rustoleum".
I put that on with a roller.

{5. paint on a coat of primer}

When I started putting the top coat on with a roller it left way too much texture behind.
I was not happy with the way it looked so I switched to a paint brush.

{6. apply top white coat}

The brush marks didn't show up as much as the texture from the roller. I had to do two coats so the brush strokes wouldn't show as much. It was totally worth it though.
I am so happy with the finished product.

{7. apply another top coat}

The handles were quite dirty and had residue on them.
I cleaned them up with some soap and steel wool.

{8. clean up handles}

I am super happy with how it turned out.
I was kind of freaked out when the texture showed a lot with the roller,
but it all worked out.

{9. move into room}


{10. fill with lots of fun stuff!}

No comments:

Post a Comment