Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer Equinox

Happy Summer Equinox! Today is the longest day of the whole year. From now until Winter Solstice, the days will get shorter and shorter. It's a pretty amazing day if you think about it. I decided to create a new tradition and watch the sunrise on Summer Equinox and Winter Solstice each year. I did it for the first time today. Luckily I can see where the sun rises from my bed, so I didn't have to go outside. It took a long time for the sun to rise. It looked the same for about an hour, just a dim little light peeking up over the mountains. I was about ready to give up and get some more sleep when I looked out the window and saw that the sun was almost all the way up. I almost missed it! I quickly snapped some pictures before it could move anymore. It was gorgeous and well worth getting up at 5:50am.

This is what it looked like for the first hour, just a dim glow peeking up over the mountain.





No comments:

Post a Comment